NIFTEM-Basic Chemistry- End Semester Question Paper Dec 2019- 1st year
The information shared below is only to get a rough idea of NIFTEM’s end semester question paper pattern, so as to easily get decent marks in the exams. However, questions proportion from the syllabus topics may vary every semester.
- Time- 3:00 hours
- Total Marks- 100
- Three parts A, B & C, in which Part A is compulsory of (30 marks) having Objective questions, MCQs, Fill in the blanks and matching type questions. Students have to answer the questions from Part-A on the paper itself. Time allotted for Part-A is 40 minutes
- Part B & part C consists of 40 marks and 30 marks respectively. Part B- 8 questions of 5 marks each & Part C- 3 Questions of 10 marks each. Time for Part-B and C is total of 2:20 hours.
Answer any 8 questions from the following-
- What are pseudo unimolecular reactions? Give two examples.
- Derive an expression for the rate constant of a second-order reaction. Also, write its units.
- What is Osmotic pressure? Describe one method to determine the osmotic pressure.
- What do you mean by the pH of a solution? What is the range of the pH scale?
- What do you mean by chemical equilibrium? Represent graphically how equilibrium is attained.
- State Le Chatelier’s Principle.
- Give mechanism of any one reaction involving Carbanions
- Explain why E2 reaction is the most common elimination reaction among the E2, E1 and E1cb.
- Explain the crystallinity and amorphicity of a polymer.
- Discuss the molecular weight distribution. List in increasing value: Mn, Mv, Mw and Mz.
- Briefly describe the ‘Transition State Theory’. What are the advantages of this theory over collision theory?
- What is meant by the terms, ‘Degree of Hydrolysis and Hydrolysis Constant’? Describe the various methods used for determining the degree of Hydrolysis of a salt?
- Derive Van’t Hoff equation giving the effect of temperature on equilibrium constant.
- What are SN reactions? Explain the factors affecting the reactivity in SN reactions.
- What do you mean by Copolymer? Describe the types of Copolymerization with suitable examples and also give the mechanism and kinetics of copolymerization.