- 1) NIFTEM-FRUITS AND VEGETABLE PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY-FST 221- Midterm + End Semester Question Paper Jun 2018- 4th Sem
- 2) MIDTERM
- 3) PART B
- 4) PART C
- 5) END SEM
- 6) PART B
- 7) PART C
NIFTEM-FRUITS AND VEGETABLE PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY-FST 221- Midterm + End Semester Question Paper Jun 2018- 4th Sem
The information shared below is only to get a rough idea of NIFTEM’s end semester question paper pattern. However, questions proportion from the syllabus topics may vary every semester.
- Time- 1:30 hours
- Total Marks- 50
- Three parts A, B & C, in which Part A is compulsory of (15 marks) having Objective questions, MCQs, Fill in the blanks and matching type questions. Students have to answer the questions from Part-A on the paper itself. Time allotted for Part-A is 25 minutes
- Part B & part C consists of 25 marks and 10 marks respectively. Have to attempt -Part B- 5 questions of 5 marks each & Part C- 1 Questions of 10 marks. Time for Part-B and C is total of 01:05 hours.
Answer any 8 questions from the following-
1. Write a technical note on the health benefits of fruits and vegetables.
2. What do you understand by maturity indices of fruits and vegetables? Discuss various indices with suitable examples.
3. What is the need for pre-cooling of fresh produce? Discuss various methods of pre-cooling.
4. What do you understand by the curing of vegetables? Discuss in detail with a suitable example.
5. Differentiate between Sorting and Grading of fresh horticultural commodities, Discuss various types of graders available in the markets.
6. Discuss various factors to be considered for the temporary storage of fresh horticultural crops.
7. Discuss Controlled Atmosphere (CA) Storage and Modified Atmospheric (MA) Storage for fresh fruits and vegetables. Also comment on the adverse effects of CA storage.
Answer any 1 question from the following-
1. Describe various pack house operations in details.
2. Discuss various changes (physical and biological) occurring during the ripening of fruits and vegetables.
3. Discuss various models of the supply chain for fresh fruits and vegetables mentioning their merits and demerits.
- Time- 3:00 hours
- Total Marks- 100
- Three parts A, B & C, in which Part A is compulsory of (30 marks) having Objective questions, MCQs, Fill in the blanks and matching type questions. Students have to answer the questions from Part-A on the paper itself. Time allotted for Part-A is 40 minutes
- Part B & part C consists of 40 marks and 30 marks respectively. Part B- 8 questions of 5 marks each & Part C- 3 Questions of 10 marks each. Time for Part-B and C is total of 2:20 hours.
Answer any 8 questions from the following-
1. Write a technical note on “Supply Chain Management of Fruits & Vegetables in India”.
2. Explain how transportation and storage facilities can influence the shelf life of fruits and vegetables?
3. Enlist and describe the various pre-cooling methods used in the low-temperature preservation of Fruits & vegetables.
4. Enlist and explain the various factors that need to be taken into consideration in the drying of fruits and vegetables
5. Explain the key principle behind the osmotic dehydration and give examples of fruit or vegetable products that employ this technique.
6. Briefly explain the term blanching. pasteurization and sterilization in the preservation of fruits and vegetables giving an example product in each case.
7. Describe two non-thermal preservation techniques used for the preservation of fruits with an example of each.
8. Differentiate between hot pulping and cold pulping methods with their merits and demerits.
9. Explain the role of various ingredients used during the pickling of cucumbers.
10. Discuss the principle and application of ultrasound technique in the preservation of fruits and vegetables.
Answer any 3 questions from the following-
1. Fermentation processes for preservation purposes encourage the multiplication of Select microorganisms and their metabolic activities which produce a range of highly desirable end products.
Explain the above statement and describe in detail three important kinds of fermentation
involved in fruits & vegetable processing.
2. With a neat flow chart, discuss each step of the preparation of fruit jelly, Also explain Spencer’s & Olsen’s theory of jelly formation.
3. Differentiate between Commercial Canning and Aseptic Canning. With the help of a neat flow sheet, discuss the process of Canning of Green peas in detail.
4. Write a technical note on “Contamination, Spoilage, and Preservation of Fruits and Vegetables.”
5. Explain the various structural changes occurring in the fruits and vegetables during Freeze-drying. Also, explain the mechanism of mass and heat transfer during freeze-drying.
Best of Luck !!
See other papers
Source- Question Papers collected and provided by Soumen Roy