NIFTEM-Mechanical Engineering- End Semester Question Paper Jun 2017- 2nd Sem
The information shared below is only to get a rough idea of NFTEM’s end semester question paper pattern. However, questions proportion from the syllabus topics may vary every semester.
- Time- 3:00 hours
- Total Marks- 100
- Three parts A, B & C, in which Part A is compulsory of (30 marks) having Objective questions, MCQs, Fill in the blanks and matching type questions. Students have to answer the questions from Part-A on the paper itself. Time allotted for Part-A is 40 minutes
- Part B & part C consists of 40 marks and 30 marks respectively. Part B- 8 questions of 5 marks each & Part C- 3 Questions of 10 marks each. Time for Part-B and C is total of 2:20 hours.
Answer any 8 questions from the following-
1. Explain Enthalpy and Internal Energy of a system.
2. Derive steady flow energy equation (SFEE) for boiler and condenser?
3. What are boiler mountings and accessories? Explain with examples.
4. Explain the different steps involved in the working of a four-stroke engine.
5. Differentiate between CI and SI engines.
6. Explain the working of a reciprocating pump with a diagram.
7. Explain the working of a Francis turbine with a diagram.
8. Write the advantages of V- belts over flat belts and derive the expression for its tension ratios.
9. Draw and explain in brief the stress-strain diagram for mild steel?
10. Derive the relationship between different elastic constants?
Answer any 3 questions from the following-
1. A reversible engine is supplied with heat from two constant temperature sources at 900K & 600K and rejects heat to a constant temperature sink at 300K. The engine develops work equivalent to 90KJ/s & rejects heat at the rate of 56KJ/s.
Estimate – (a) heat supplied by each source.
(b) The thermal efficiency of the engine?
2. Explain the operational and constructional details of the Babcock and Wilcox boiler.
3. Explain the Diesel cycle and also derive an expression for the efficiency of Diesel cycle.
4. GIve the list of classification of turbines with examples. Compare the Pelton wheel and Kaplan turbines.
5. A metallic bar 300mm ×100mm× 40mm is subjected to a force of 50KN (tensile), 6KN (tensile) and 4KN (tensile) in X, Y and Z directions respectively. Determine the change in the volume of the bar.
Take E= 2×105 N/mm2 and Poisson ratio= 0.25.
Best of Luck !!
See other papers
Source- Question Papers collected by Soumen Roy