- 1) NIFTEM-PRINCIPLES OF FOOD PRESERVATION AND PROCESSING-FST 213- midterm + End Semester Question Paper Dec 2017- 3rd Sem
- 2) MIDTERM
- 3) PART B
- 4) PART C
- 5) END SEM
- 6) PART B
- 7) PART C
NIFTEM-PRINCIPLES OF FOOD PRESERVATION AND PROCESSING-FST 213- midterm + End Semester Question Paper Dec 2017- 3rd Sem
The information shared below is only to get a rough idea of NIFTEM’s end semester question paper pattern. However, questions proportion from the syllabus topics may vary every semester.
- Time- 1:30 hours
- Total Marks- 50
- Three parts A, B & C, in which Part A is compulsory of (15 marks) having Objective questions, MCQs, Fill in the blanks and matching type questions. Students have to answer the questions from Part-A on the paper itself. Time allotted for Part-A is 25 minutes
- Part B & part C consists of 25 marks and 10 marks respectively. Have to attempt -Part B- 5 questions of 5 marks each & Part C- 1 Questions of 10 marks. Time for Part-B and C is total of 01:05 hours.
Answer any 8 questions from the following-
1. Write down the classification of food materials based on the origin sources of food?
2. Describe in detail the rancidity. its cause and effect? Also. explain different types of rancidites with the help of suitable chemical reactions.
3. Draw the neat and clean labeled diagrams of different blanchers and write their working principles and technologies involved.
4. Explain the effects of blanching on foods with the help of suitable diagrams
5. Classify the food materials based on their shelf-life and support each category with the help of appropriate examples of food materials.
6. Explain the Shape of Microbial Inactivation Curves and 12D concept for thermal processing of food materials at constant temperature?
7. What is the effect of heat sterilization on food materials?
Answer any 1 question from the following-
1. Explain and describe in detail the primary and secondary causes of food spoilage and loss.
2. What is pasteurization? Describe the purpose of pasteurization with the help of suitable food materials examples and neat and clean labeled diagrams of working pasteurizer?
(i) Peas that have an average diameter of 6 mm are blanched to give a temperature of 85°C at the center. The initial temperature of the peas is 15°C and the temperature of the blancher water is 95°C.
Calculate the time required assuming that the heat transfer coefficient is 1200 W m-2 K-1 and, for peas, the thermal conductivity is 0.35 W /mK, the specific heat is 3.3 KJ/kg and the density is 980 kg m-3.
(ii) The F-value at 121.1-C equivalent to 99.999% inactivation of a strain of C. botulinum is 1.2 minutes. Calculate the D value of this organism. Calculate Fo based on the 12D concept using the Do value of C. botulinum for a most likely spore load in the product of 100.
- Time- 3:00 hours
- Total Marks- 100
- Three parts A, B & C, in which Part A is compulsory of (30 marks) having Objective questions, MCQs, Fill in the blanks and matching type questions. Students have to answer the questions from Part-A on the paper itself. Time allotted for Part-A is 40 minutes
- Part B & part C consists of 40 marks and 30 marks respectively. Part B- 8 questions of 5 marks each & Part C- 3 Questions of 10 marks each. Time for Part-B and C is total of 2:20 hours.
Answer any 8 questions from the following-
1. Write about the methods of food preservation.
2. What is food? Classify the various types of food groups with examples.
3. Explain the Canning process for fruits and vegetables.
4. Define ‘Pasteurization and sterilization’, Discuss the workability of milk pasteurization.
5. What ts frozen storage? Give in brief about the effect of thawing on food quality.
6. Explains the salient features of Modified Atmospheric Storage (MAS) and Controlled Atmospheric Storage (CAS)?
7. Define evaporation. Discuss the principle of membrane concentration.
8. Discuss the application of sugar and salt in food preservation with some suitable examples.
9. Define Irradiation, Explain the preservation mechanism of food irradiation.
10. Discuss the techniques of food biopreservation?
Answer any 3 questions from the following-
1. Discuss the major causes of food spoilage and explain the general principles of food preservation.
2. What do you understand by Thermal Preservation? Discuss the need of D, Z and f values in thermal destruction of organisms.
3. What is Freezing? How can differential from cooling, chilling and refrigeration, Discuss the various methods of freezing of fruits and vegetables.
4. Discuss the factors affecting the concentration of liquid foods and also explain the changes occur in concentration of liquid foods.?
5. What is Irradiation and Radiation Dose? Discuss the working mechanisms of radiation and its effect on microorganisms and foods.?
Best of Luck !!
See other papers
Source- Question Papers collected and provided by Soumen Roy