- 1) NIFTEM-FOOD PACKAGING TECHNOLOGY-ENG 322- Midterm + End Semester Question Paper Jun 2019- 6th Sem
- 2) MIDTERM
- 3) PART B
- 4) PART C
- 5) END SEM
- 6) PART B
- 7) PART C
NIFTEM-FOOD PACKAGING TECHNOLOGY-ENG 322- Midterm + End Semester Question Paper Jun 2019- 6th Sem
The information shared below is only to get a rough idea of NIFTEM’s end semester question paper pattern. However, questions proportion from the syllabus topics may vary every semester.
- Time- 1:30 hours
- Total Marks- 50
- Three parts A, B & C, in which Part A is compulsory of (15 marks) having Objective questions, MCQs, Fill in the blanks and matching type questions. Students have to answer the questions from Part-A on the paper itself. Time allotted for Part-A is 25 minutes
- Part B & part C consists of 25 marks and 10 marks respectively. Have to attempt -Part B- 5 questions of 5 marks each & Part C- 1 Questions of 10 marks. Time for Part-B and C is total of 01:05 hours.
Answer any 5 questions from the following-
1. An expanded polymer is a better insulating material than its homogeneous form. Explain why?
2. Assume moisture-sensitive package food has a shelf life of 12 months. If the package thickness is decreased by 15 % and the surface area is decreased by 20 %, what is the new shelf life?
3. Discuss how the physical, ambient and human environment individually important for specifying the packaging requirements?
4. Why PVC has higher mechanical and barrier properties than PE? Explain.
5. Define Packaging and differentiate between package and packing.
6. Describe different forms of a package and explain why metal and glass are stronger and stiffer than plastic.
7. The milk-based product is packed inside a plastic container in the production plant at 30-degree Celcius. To inhibits mold growth in the product, CO2 is flushed inside the containers. The containers are then transported to a storage area at around 4 degrees Celsius. Later it is observed that some containers collapsed at the corners or the walls in the storage area. Explain the reason for this observation.
Answer any 1 question from the following-
1. A biscuit is to packed in an oriented polypropylene film and the oxygen tolerance limit of 50×10-6g. Assume product weight is 250g and initial oxygen concentration inside the package is zero. The package surface area is 444cm2 and the package film has a structure of 4OμmPET, 10μm PVDC, and I5μm LDPE. The permeability coefficient of PET, PVDC, and LDPE are 0.144, 0.035 36.1cm3 μm cm-2atm-1day-1 respectively. Estimate the shelf lite of biscuit. Assume: 1 mole of oxygen amount to 22400cm3(STP), Partial pressure difference inside and outside the package is 0.21 atm.
2. Define the physical and chemical properties of packaging material with examples and Explain the thermal and mechanical properties with a suitable diagram of stress and strain curve of the tensile test.
(a) Define transmission rate, permeance, permeability, and diffusion coefficient.
(b) Derive the equation for the permeability of single and multilayer (three-layer) of plastics film.
- Time- 3:00 hours
- Total Marks- 100
- Three parts A, B & C, in which Part A is compulsory of (30 marks) having Objective questions, MCQs, Fill in the blanks and matching type questions. Students have to answer the questions from Part-A on the paper itself. Time allotted for Part-A is 40 minutes
- Part B & part C consists of 40 marks and 30 marks respectively. Part B- 8 questions of 5 marks each & Part C- 3 Questions of 10 marks each. Time for Part-B and C is total of 2:20 hours.
Answer any 8 questions from the following-
1. Discuss various packaging components.
2. Enlist key properties of glass and metal containers.
3. Discuss the packaging requirements of instant and extruded foods.
4. Discuss the packaging requirements for meat, fish, and poultry.
5. Discuss various factors affecting product quality and shelf life.
6. Discus two-piece single drawn and multiple drawn (DRD) cans.
7. Enlist various methods of film lamination. Discuss film lamination by adhesive methods.
8. What mandatory and voluntary things are incorporated in a label? Discuss nutrition labeling requirements of food as per FSSAI.
9. Enlist various ethylene scavengers and discuss the mechanism involved in ethylene removal.
10. Enlist various properties of food that are influenced by moisture. Enlist various moisture absorbers and discuss anyone in detail.
Answer any 3 questions from the following-
1. Discuss various functions of packaging. Briefly discuss the properties of packaging materials for their classification.
2. Discuss the manufacturing process of plastics. Compare its advantages and disadvantages over the glass.
3. Discuss the packaging requirement of fruits and vegetables. Discuss MAP of fruits and vegetables.
4. Enlist various machinery involved in canning. Discuss the work and functions of these individually.
5. Discuss the aseptic packaging system in detail.
Best of Luck !!
See other papers
Source- Question Papers collected and provided by Soumen Roy