- 1) NIFTEM-STATISTICAL METHODS-BAS 311- Midterm +End Semester Question Paper Dec 2018- 5th Sem
- 2) MIDTERM
- 3) PART B
- 4) PART C
- 5) END SEM
- 6) PART B
- 7) PART C
NIFTEM-STATISTICAL METHODS-BAS 311- Midterm +End Semester Question Paper Dec 2018- 5th Sem
The information shared below is only to get a rough idea of NIFTEM’s end semester question paper pattern. However, questions proportion from the syllabus topics may vary every semester.
- Time- 1:30 hours
- Total Marks- 50
- Three parts A, B & C, in which Part A is compulsory of (15 marks) having Objective questions, MCQs, Fill in the blanks and matching type questions. Students have to answer the questions from Part-A on the paper itself. Time allotted for Part-A is 25 minutes
- Part B & part C consists of 25 marks and 10 marks respectively. Have to attempt -Part B- 5 questions of 5 marks each & Part C- 1 Questions of 10 marks. Time for Part-B and C is total of 01:05 hours.
Answer any 5 questions from the following-
1. Discuss applications of Statistics in food science and technology.
2. The marketing manager of a supermarket chain would like to use shelf space to predict the sales of chocolates. A random sample of ten equal-sized stores is selected. Data is given below:
Predict mean weekly sales (in thousand Rs.) of chocolates for stores with 8 feet of shelf space for chocolates.
3. Why mean and the standard deviation is the most widely used measure of central tendency and dispersion?
4. Explain the following :
(i) Standard Error
(ii) Null and the alternative hypothesis
(iii) Degrees of freedom
5. Differentiate between correlation and regression.
6. The following table represents the % composition of Condensed Milk.
Represent the above data using a suitable graphical technique. Also, justify the selection of technique.
7. Discuss the important points for preparing a questionnaire.
Answer any 1 question from the following-
1. A soft drink company produces 2 liters bottles of one of its popular drinks. The quality control the department is responsible for verifying that each bottle contains exactly 2 liters of soft drink. The result of a random check of 14 bottles undertaken by the quality control officer is given below in the table:
At 5% level of significance, is there evidence that the mean amount of soft drink filled 1s different from 2.0 liters? Also, explain the complete hypothesis testing procedure.
2. The operations manager of a plant that manufactures special tires for trucks used for supplying processed food products wants to compare the actual inner diameter of two grades of tires, each of which is expected to be 575 millimeters. A sample of 5 tires of each grade was selected, and the results representing the inner diameters of the tires, ranked from smallest to largest, are as follows:
Grade X : 568, 570, 575, 578, 584;
Grade Y : 573, 574, 575, 577, 578
For each of the two-grade tiers, compute appropriate measures of central tendency and dispersion. Which grade of tiers providing better quality? Explain.
What would be the effect on your answer in (a) & (b) if the last value of grade Y were 588 instead of 578?
3. Discuss in detail primary and secondary data collection techniques.
- Time- 3:00 hours
- Total Marks- 100
- Three parts A, B & C, in which Part A is compulsory of (30 marks) having Objective questions, MCQs, Fill in the blanks and matching type questions. Students have to answer the questions from Part-A on the paper itself. Time allotted for Part-A is 40 minutes
- Part B & part C consists of 40 marks and 30 marks respectively. Part B- 8 questions of 5 marks each & Part C- 3 Questions of 10 marks each. Time for Part-B and C is total of 2:20 hours.
Answer any 8 questions from the following-
1. Write five applications of statistics in food science technology & management.
2. Age of 10 randomly selected subjects who participated in a study of sparteine and Mephenytoin
Oxidation is as follows:
19, 52, 48, 48, 32, 35, 22, 23, 54 and 53
Compute mean, median and mode age of the 10 subjects.
3. Find the value of standard deviation about mean for the following distribution of growth in bacteria.
|Growth in bacteria (mg)||10-20||20-30||30-40||40-50||50-60||60-70|
4. The following data were collected during an experiment in which laboratory animals were inoculated with a pathogen. The variables are time in hours after inoculation and temperature in degree Celsius.
Find the value of the correlation coefficient between time and temperature.
5. The HAL Corporation wishes to improve the resistance of its personal computer to disk-drive and keyboard failures. At present, the design of the computer is such that disk-drive failure occurs only one third as often as keyboard failures. The probability of simultaneous disk-drive and keyboard failures is 0.05. Hf the computer is 830% resistant to disk-drive and/or keyboard failure, how low must the disk failure probability be?
6. What do you understand by Stratified Sampling? Describe with a suitable example.
7. Distinguish between Null hypothesis, Alternate hypothesis and two types of error.
8. It has been found from experience that the mean life of a particular brand of eatable is 10 days with a standard deviation of 1.5 days. From a new lot, a random sample of 49 pieces of item mean life of 9.1 days. Can we conclude at a significance level of 0.05, that quality has become inferior?
Answer any 3 questions from the following-
Best of Luck !!
See other papers
Source- Question Papers collected and provided by Soumen Roy